This article will provide a non-exhaustive list of websites, designers blogs, communities and many other types of resources. The list is handpicked and contains only the resources that I found very helpful to stay in the know and keep on learning everyday about UX and UI Design.
It will definitely be modified throughout time as I keep on discovering new interesting mines of knowledge. I hope you can make the most out of it. Stay tuned and in case you have any further suggestions, they are more than welcomed!
Starting in the field:
If you are getting started and want to learn the basics in a detailed yet concise way, the following is a selection with great content that will help you dive in. Either with step-by-step crash sources or with very insightful subject-oriented articles, these links will help you get a solid foundation:
- Hack Design : hackdesign.org/lessons
- Good UI: goodui.org/
- UXPin Free E-Books:
- Smashing Magazine:
- Usability Gov: usability.gov/
- The Hipper Element:
- The Interaction Design Foundation: interaction-design.org/
- Resilient Web Design: resilientwebdesign.com/
To stay up to date:
UX Design is a highly evolutionary field. New methods, best practices and tools are popping almost every single day. Besides, it’s a field with very creative and passionate thinkers that don’t hesitate to share their ideas and insights. Since you don’t want to miss on all the hot articles, here is a list that will fill your curiosity to the brim and then some more:
- Nielsen Norman Group: nngroup.com/
- A List Apart: alistapart.com/
- UX Design: uxdesign.cc/
- UX Booth: uxbooth.com/
- Fast Company Design: fastcodesign.com/
- Boxes and Arrows: boxesandarrows.com/
- Designer News: designernews.co/
- UX Mastery: uxmastery.com/
- UX Matters: www.uxmatters.com/
- Creative Bloq: creativebloq.com/
- Usability Geek: usabilitygeek.com/
- UX Magazine: uxmag.com/
- Cognitive UXD: cognitiveuxd.com/
“Your job is to collect good ideas. The more good ideas you collect, the more you can choose from to be influenced by.” ― Austin Kleon,
- Call to Idea: calltoidea.com/
- Really Good UX: reallygoodux.io/
- UI Movement: uimovement.com/
- Little Big Details: littlebigdetails.com/
- Site Inspire: siteinspire.com/
- Awwwards: awwwards.com/
- UI Parade: uiparade.com/
- Mobile Patterns: mobile-patterns.com/
- Inspired UI: inspired-ui.com/
- Pttrns: pttrns.com/
- UI Patterns: ui-patterns.com/
- Visual Complexity: visualcomplexity.com/
- Pinterest: pinterest.com/
- Behance: behance.net/
- Dribbble: dribbble.com/
Follow the Experts:
Because they love what they do and because they are always a step ahead, it can be a smart idea to follow the Pros in the field to get an indirect mentor-ship, to soak in their knowledge and to stay in the know of what’s happening else where!
- Nick Babich: babich.biz/
- Julie Zhuo: medium.com/@joulee
- Karen McGrane: karenmcgrane.com/
- Amber Cartwright: medium.com/@amberwrencart
- Paul Boag: boagworld.com/
- Brian Chesky: medium.com/@bchesky
- Kristof Orts: medium.com/@kristoforts
- Joshua Porter: medium.com/@bokardo
- Luke Wroblewski: lukew.com/
- Chantal Jandard: medium.com/@chantastique
- Jake Knapp: jakeknapp.com/
- Aaron Walter: aarronwalter.com/
To Network and get in touch:
The best way to fully dive in a field is to surround yourself with like-minded people. The internet has made it easier to do so, there are millions ways out there to connect. Although my favorite way of networking is to meet and discuss in person, but when the can’t allow it you still can join awesome communities online to share, talk, get help, inspire and get inspired.
- UX Meetups: Attending a local Meetups to connect in person.
- IxDA: Interaction Design Association is an international organization with branchs in different countries, they organize UX Design meetings and conferences.
- UX Stackexchange: Ask or get answers from user experience researchers and experts.
- UX Design Community : A community of UI/UX designers from all over the globe.
- The Designership: A community of creatives to learn and share.
- Designer Hangout: An invite-only network of UX designers and researchers.
- Product Tribes: Meet product teams at IBM, Groupon, PwC, Hewlett Packard, and more.
- Product Managers group: Topics on product management and other related subjects.
- Junior UX Community: A Slack Channel to help junior UX Designers land their first jobs.
- Content + UX: For insights on content design and information-centered UX.
- Dear Designers: A community to help you figure out your next steps in becoming a better designer from folks a few steps ahead of you.
- Digital Nomads : A Slack community for digital nomads freelancing or working on startups.
- What Users Do: For User-centered approaches, research and testing tool.
- #frontendDevelopers: A community for creative developers to share knowledge.
- Women in Technology: A space for women who work in technology.
For constantly updated tools you can check :